Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #499

Scott,  I think what you said about today's rock music is correct.
I compare it to the sports business today -- it's just not like it
used to be; it's all business, money and greed.  However, if I were
given the opportunity to make millions of $$ through limited use of
my talent, I'd probably go that way too, who knows.  But I'd much rather
see musicians work at their talents (and athletes work at improving
their athletic abilites) than the way things are today.  I do think
MTV has gotten out of hand and you're right about the image a rocker
has to portray.  Agents are also to blame in not allowing a musician
to properly advance himself or expecting too much at one time from
a musician.   I, like you, enjoy today's rock music but not quite enough
to go buy CDs of new rockers.  I tend to stick with classic rockers,
because they allowed themselves time to mature artistically and their
agents allowed them time as well, and that maturity is sensed more
and more in their albums.  There's nothing like the Beatles, The Who,
Moody Blues, even Rush and Yes.  Their intellectuality is deep and
that deepness is described so well that it cannot compare to today's
rock.

Anyway, that's just a bit of my opinion.  Next person, please.

Natalie (Rock)