Re: record business

White Fang wrote:

<< Greg, re:

 << As one who was a journalism major in college >>

 Really? How did you get into the record business???

 I don't think you ever told me that story... :)

 - -wf

Rich - that was easy.  Woodward and Bernstein had already brought down Nixon
and Ford was too innocuous to look into and Carter was too honest, so what
was a crusading young idealistic journalist student like me to do?  I guess I
should have waited for the Reagan Administration - I could have written reams
there!

Actually,  I started in the record business while I was in college and did
not think that it would turn into a career.  I was spending my hard earned
money (this was when the minimum wage was $1.75/hour and gas 25 cents per
gallon) on records which irked the crap out of my parents - until I was
promoted into a head buyer's slot for a major national record chain and sent
to Los Angeles.   By the way - I set up the deal with an import distributor
to buy up the remaining copies from Pete Townshend of the second issue Meher
Baba LP's that he had for sale.  I then bought all the copies for our chain
and we sold them out through our stores.  I still have the letters from Pete
setting up the deal and the letter from the president of the import company
(the late JEM Records - he started the company BTW because he could not find
a copy of The Who - Direct Hits LP - REALLY!!!!!) where he said that he flew
to London, met with Pete to do the purchase and that Pete had my business
card on his office bulletin board.  That was cool to hear.

So - I was basically lucky to turn a hobby into a career.  I did do some rock
related writing as well for regional and local entertainment papers so the
journalism training came to good use - as it still does with the Civil War
projects I am involved with.  Another cool thing because of my job in LA -
the MCA promo rep called me one afternoon to tell me that he was taking John
Entwistle to Tower Records on Sunset for some record shopping and he invited
me along.  Got to spend a few hours with John and even offered him $200 for
one of his Highnumbers 45's that he still had (did not have one then - have
since had three).  He would not sell!  Bummer!  Also, because of the writing
gig - got to attend a party and luncheon with Roger when he was over to
promote his "Ride A Rock Horse" LP.  Helped set up the instore appearance at
our store in Atlanta too.

Greg Biggs