Re:Quad/HBO....

>>From: Ian Derby <slpkd9@us.net>
>>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:58:09 -0400 (EDT)
>>Subject: Quad/HBO....
>>3) David Gilmour.  As someone has already said, just shut up >>and play.

Actually, I thought he sang just fine.  Although I am a big fan of his guitar
playing, I was shocked to hear him flail aimlessly in LROM, which switches
between two keys at the end (E Flat and G Flat).  He didn't seem to be able
to switch keys with the song.  While we're on the subject of Gilmour, I'd
like to add one more point of interest-he's an unsocial jerk.  When TOMMY
played in Houston our opening night party was at the Hard Rock Cafe.  Floyd
was in town (same promoter) and they crashed our private party.  Gilmour sat
in the back with his bodyguard and some teenaged-looking girl.  When the
promoter approached him and said "Some of the TOMMY bandmembers would love to
meet you" he said no way.  When Caitlin Newman, all of 8 years old (she
played 4 year-old Tommy) and the sweetest kid you ever met, asked Mr. Gilmour
for his autograph, he said no.   So you'll excuse me if I let go of a hearty
"ha-ha" when I saw him crash and burn at Hyde Park.

Other Hyde Park impressions:

1-Never let Dylan hold an electric guitar.

2-Someone should have tripped Alanis during her victory laps.

3-Pete is the king, even (especially?) on acoustic.  He may have seemed or
felt like odd man out since this was essentially Roger's band plus Pete.

4-Roger was great, especially since he must have been in great pain every
time he opened his mouth.

5-Say what you want about Clapton, he sang and played flawlessly.

Scott