Re: Phil Collins & Kenny Jones

Mike:

> I believe he (Phil Collins) would have been happy in the Who with nothing
but drumsticks in his hand (and now to duck the inevitable retort, and drums
in front of him). No songwriting, no vocals, just drums.

I disagree. I see Collins as a more overbearing, ambitious type not suited
for a role as a "backbencher".  As Pete's songwriting and energy waned
Collins would've tried to fill the void.

>Does everyone (anyone) on this list like Kenny?

First of all, we have to realize that Jones was a better drummer than about
90% of all professional drummers on the scene back then.  That said, there
were many, many reasons that Jones wasn't going to succeed with the Who (and
the Who with him) with most of them not having anything to do with his
"competence".

What the Who got in Kenny was what the needed least; a  staight-ahead,
 timekeeper type drummer.  When he did try and become more active his fills
were ordinary and unimaginative.  He couldn't (and shouldn't have tried to )
copy Moon note for note but also failed to make the songs in the existing Who
catalogue "his" in any real way.  For a veteran musician who had been around
for a long time it's stange but he had that "deer in the headlights" look
about him.   Throw in the fact that he was following in Moon's footsteps, had
weak songs to work with on FD and IH,  the lack of focus by the band
(especially Pete), etc. and you can see why he's become the convenient fall
guy.

JJM