Re: MCA versus Polydor

On Sat, Jul 13, 1996 8:34:32 PM  at TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:

>Denon CD player (main player), Pioneer laser disc, Audio Research SP6B
tube
>preamp, 2 Hafler DH 500 Amps, SOTA turntable, Nakamichi Dragon (main
deck),
>Nakamichi CR1A (2ndary deck), 2 VHS Hi-Fi and 1 Beta Hi-Fi going into
>Infinitiy, RS2B speakers.
>
>Typically, I've found the MCAs to be a bit brighter and sometimes a bit
>harsher than the Polydors (ABing the remixes). However, in this case, it
>makes all the difference. My wife, (who has better ears than I do--and is
>musician) picked up the difference immediately when I played, "Drowned"
and
>"Dr Jimmy"...

What's your secondary CD player?  The differences you hear could very well
result from different D/A converters in your CD players, as well as the
analog outputs.  If they both have digital outputs, you might want to
borrow an outboard D/A converter with two digital inputs.  That would
control for volume and quality of D/A conversion (although you'd still have
different amounts of digital jitter from the different transports).