New Quad: MCA vs Polydor...

I just finished listening to the Polydor version (through "Drowned")... WOW,
what a difference! All of my complaints (so far) with the MCA version do not
seem to exist on this one. It's as if I was listening to TWO different mixes.

My first thoughts were that everything here is exactly where it should be
(the argument about new mix vs old I won't get into here). I personally
thought the MCA disc was way too bright and of course many dull and midrange
spots and areas. This one accents the highs nicely without losing JAE (or
Roger) in the mix... ALL the vocal tracks (so far) seem to be fine (I'll have
to see if "Dr Jimmy" is OK... since that was a problem on the MCA...)

I'm going to listen to it a few more times, but overall a HUGE difference.

Now, the interesting question is... are all the MCA discs out there like
mine, or is there a defective batch? Using 0s & 1s, I don't see how. However,
it is possible that the master tape given to MCA was inferior, or something
got screwed up in their mastering process...

Stay tuned...

- -wf