heh?

I friggin' LOVE Abba!  Hey, I like Pop songs; two minutes, fifty seconds,
by tradition.  They cranked 'em out; one after another.  My top faves were
Mama Mia and SOS.  Good lord that's about as perfect as it gets...
Speaking of which, I really like that latest one by Patty Rothberg
(Rossberg?). damn what a great song... Once again proving that guitar, bass,
drums,
and singer, two minutes, fifty, and four or so chords is all it takes..
Mind you, you can use more, and I think Townshend got away with doing that
for quite awhile... with great effect, but he was deeply rooted in
crafting pop songs first... So when he went into seven, and even fifteen
minute extensions, it was only natural and necessary that he did...

Although my biggest complaint about the guy recently, aside from abdicating
a decent guitar sound in spite of his increased prowess at guitar, is his
excessive wordiness and lack of what I would call focused melody... Too
adult contempo in some cases.  Which is why I like Face the Face (Face to
Face?) a lot better, because to me it was a return to simple, direct
songwriting.
Probably a little too simplistic, but for me was the best song he had
written in many many a year....  That's why all the latter stuff was just
not for me.  Mebbe I'm not fusisticated enough, or whatever...  That`s why
when punk first came out it was an outlet for my need for fast, simple songs.
This is what made bands like the Buzzcocks my faves.   But back then they
had many fellow bands who wrote like that.  Generation X, Sex Pistols, Damned,
the Cure (for awhile, at least), X-Ray Specs, Clash (for one album only),
etc. etc. I was hoping the Who would, somehow, respond.  I know there are
tons of arguments for the contrary, but....?

Jeff

From: "Gary M. Gillman" <garyg@inforamp.net>