Re: The Bible Belt

>Sorry, but as a Tarheel born, a Tarheel bred, and when I die a Tarheel dead
>(that's the nickname for North Carolinians, for our international listers) I
>must take exception with your characterization of the "Bible Belt."

Andy:

I was also born in NC, and long to live in the Smokies as having been all
over the country that ends up being MY choice of "as close to heaven."
Unfortunately, my wife will never leave her job. This store I could easily
relocate.

> You DO tend to get more street preachers and door-to-door Baptists.

Ha! Here in SC we had preachers on streetcorners shouting out to the public,
which annoyed the shopowners (who were unable to put an end to it). Of
course, had it been me, I would have taken more direct action. As I did not
so long ago, when I approached a street preacher and shouted to the people:
"Keep your hands on your wallets, folks!" That not only got a good laugh,
but broke up the crowd. Ah, sweet victory...

>Me?  I'm probably what you'd call a lapsed Episcopalian.

Yeah, me too. So did you do the acolyte thing? God, I hated that. I don't
look good in a dress...

>So I'm always kind to people (like Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and
Muslims) >who come to my door wanting to spread their message.

I'm always tempted to play Anarchy In The UK at top volume. "I am the
anti-Christ..."

>IF you come over for the MSG
>shows, you ought to come down to Dixie and check it out yourself.

I second that. Bernd, you can even stay at my house. While Myrtle Beach is
atypical of the Carolinas, you might get some insights...there's about 200
churches in an area with a population of 40,000. Some with odd names, like
"Primitive Freewill Baptist Church."

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend