Who news from MCA...

I had an interesting conversation with a top exec (who will remain nameless)
from MCA tonight...

We discussed a) The "Quad" reissue
                          b) "Tommy: Live At Leeds"
                          c) Other live projects
                          d) Who By Numbers and the others...
                          e) Misc stuff

a) When I get the Polydor in the mail, I will compare it, send him the
results and if I feel the MCA has a "problem" it will be sent for analysis.

b & c) Long conversation. Polydor wanted a 2CD "Leeds" complete with "Tommy",
MCA didn't. MCA won and Pete changed sides from his original position. From
what I was told, the "Tommy" portion as a whole was NOT of the same
performance quality as the rest of "Leeds" (ie not "outstanding") and based
on THAT reason alone, it was held back (this has been confirmed by another
lister who has heard it recently). They don't feel (right or wrong) that
"Live Tommy" as a single disc would sell as well as WE think it would...

As for the live perspective... they want QUALITY performances like "Leeds"
and will put it on 2 discs. I discussed other listers feelings and brought in
the Clapton discussion, to which he was very symapthetic. Simply put: If it
does very well... they WILL do more. Can't argue with that.

d) "Who By Numbers" is DONE. Probably will be released in the FALL (exact
date unknown). As for the bonus tracks: LIVE MATERIAL FROM THAT PERIOD...
...which was one of the suggestions that we all turned in way back when...
That's like 40 minutes of great stuff that none of us should complain about
AND takes some of the pressure away from the live set...

e) they intend on releasing "Who Are You" at the same time as d), but it's
not complete yet. Apparently they WILL be doing "Face Dances" and "It's Hard"
as well... the current thinking with the remainder will be "live tracks" as
bonus tracks where there are no studio tracks to use...

Odds & Sods is a dilema as we both agreed there is MORE material than disc
space. But it seems they haven't gotten that far yet and have time to sort it
out (we hope).

Apparently MCA wanted to release "Who's Next" as a 2 CD "Lifehouse" complete
shibang, but Polydor didn't want to go for it. My comment was, between this
and "Leeds", the fans lost out.... :(  Oh well...

So stay tuned...

Parting comments: For any one of you capable of discerning who at MCA I was
speaking to, that's fine. DO NOT, go back to this individual and quote me, or
even misquote me. I'm sure we all can appreciate this individual's geneousity
on sharing some inside info, which I in turn shared with YOU. The last time
(it's been awhile) that I posted some inside information, one of you
p-brained terds, went back to that individual trying to act "cool" and now
that "well is dry". When someone does that, it ruins it for all of us. After
all, with open communication, ideas can pass both ways. I'm sure this person
doesn't mind being quoted, but I don't think he needs <Picard> thrown in his
face... Enuf said...

- -wf