Re: Embarrassed Correction re 5:15 intro

Mark T., re:

>I've now *heard* that whirring (sorry, Litgo!). It could well be an electric

>cart (a bit like one of those golf carts), which tows a series of wheeled
>cages containing mailbags.

Why, thank you!

IMO, the sound there is too "up front" to be anything from the rail station
sound effects. The sound of the clanging, the footsteps, etc., all has reverb
or echo on it. The tape whirring sound has no echo whatsoever.

Warning: Theory coming up...

I'll venture a guess as to what it is. Imagine the assembled musicians
getting ready to play the intro to the song. Somebody counts off so the
guitar, piano and bass can all start at the same time. At the end of the
countoff, somebody hits a drumstick which makes an errant clanking noise.

Later, when putting the tracks down, and this, mind you, is just a guess,
they cue the tape up right past the count off, but before the opening chords
of the song. However, someone stops the tape right at the end of the
countoff, but before the clanking sound. When the rail station tape is being
played, and the engineer hits play on the paused tape of the piano, the
errant sound, starts at zero speed but is brought up to speed, sounding from
a low, slow frequency to a high, quick frequency.

Now, this is most likely not the case because the sound doesn't sound like
that. But, andy tape getting up to speed usually has some type of audible
"noise" on it.

Just a theory. It can be more easily heard on the remix because the high end
has been cleaned up. It wasn't too obvious before because the high end was
compressed down.

Litgo