Re: Scalping

Dave, re:

> A second way of identifying committed fans is through membership in fan
clubs and subscriptions to fanzines like Naked Eye or Generations or even
internet mailing lists.  This method has been used by groups like the
Grateful Dead, U2, and Pearl Jam.  There are other methods -- for example,
people could be required to answer trivia questions or identify song and
album titles, etc. before being able to buy tickets.
This might sound silly, but I think it would be the easiest way to identify
scalpers, who often rely on homeless people to purchase tickets.

You're right, it does sound "silly"...

You're putting much more time and thought into this than anyone associated
with the band and ticketmaster...

TM (ticketmaster): Hello, Ticketmaster!
TB (Ticket buyer): Yes, I'd like Who tickets.
TM: Who?
TB: The Who.
TM: Who do you want to see?
TB: That's right, I want to see The Who. You know, Quadropenia???
TM: Oh dat! Well, first I got to ask you some questions.
TB: Questions???
TM: Yes. Name 3 members in the group?
TB: Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, Roger Daltrey
TM: Very good. What was there last album?
TB: You mean last studio album?
TM: I don't know. I am only know what's on the answer sheet.
TB: OK, last album was "Two's Missing".
TM: No. I'm sorry, the correct answer was "Who's Better Who's Best". Thanks
for calling... CLICK!
TB: Hello? Hello???

ARE YOU KIDDING??? If you thought there was phone gridlock for the 1st go
around this time, imagine a "question & answer" game??? Geez... now let's
see... what if my wife wanted to call and didn't know what I knew??? Nope...

As for "identifying committed fans"... There's all kinds of people out there
that consider themselves "committed fans" but have no access to various
communication and therefore are "leftout" of the marketplace in that
regard...

If anyone really cared (they obviously don't), there would be a "fair" system
in place (whatever that means) and that would be it. Name that tune, buy that
CD or... doesn't mean <Picard> and it's just another layer of expense and
bull<Picard> to go through...

- -wf