Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #220

At 8:50 7/3/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: Jacksonjim@aol.com
>Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:14:49 -0400
>
>Gang,
>
>I believe that Pete says during the Toronto 82 show (THE WHO ROCKS AMERICA):
> "What's hard is making him feel hard. (sly grin on face) "You can't hear
>what I'm sayin'." (as taped intro to EMINENCE FRONT is played)  I think it's
>a dig directed at Rog.

I see no reason why Pete would be talking about making Roger feel hard.  I
agree with the poster who said he hears, "What's 'ard is makin' it _feel_
'ard.", and it's a penis joke, followed by "You can't understand what I'm
saying, can you?" when there is no burst of laughter or other reaction from
the audience.  The sly grin you mention is Pete's own reaction as he puts
the joke out there; his sad and resigned tone and expression as he says
"You can't understand what I'm saying..." has always struck me as not only
touching, but arguably symbolic of his entire career, as he tries to make
contact with an audience who ignores or misunderstands him (_Tommy_
analogy, anyone?).  You can actually see him physically realize he is
unable to communicate with the audience in any other than the expected way
and give up on trying to make personal contact with them, and immerse
himself in the song.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend

From: amck@eden.com (Alan McKendree)