Re: QUAD Wars

Litgo, re:

>What could make it better? All the entire thing really needed was to bring
>the vocals up and the rest would take care of itself.

Thought I'd reply to myself considering the nature of the album.

Just spent an hour doing a real A/B comparison of the new CD to my German
vinyl (sorry, don't have the japanese pressing) -- and (yes, home on a
holiday night? I must be completely insane). Though I didn't take notes, I
find that the above statement still holds true, IMO. The mixes on the vinyl
were, for the most part, again IMO, the optimal mixes, except for the vocals.
The drums at the forefront are, shall I say, somewhat thin. I think it's the
distortion of the vinyl that gave them the booming quality we're all
accustomed to. The brightness and clarity of the new mix is its saving grace.
Ideal? Take the same master tapes and duplicate the original mixes, except
for boosting the vocals.

In detail, the biggest problem with Cut My Hair is that both sides of
Daltrey's doubletracked vocal are panned to the center. On the vinyl, they're
separated. The slight distortion and booming drums give it the powerful
quality on the vinyl that's lost on the remix. I think the same holds true
for Punk Meets the Godfather. It's too sedate without the thunderous drums.

Helpless dancer actually has a better frequency range on vinyl than on the
remix. Still prefer the piano to the forward guitars on Drowned. The phased
outro really bothers me.

That's all I can remember for now. I'll be searching for the old polydor cd.

Litgo