Stairway/WGFA

Jon writes:
>Kids used to play (and were taught) Stairway to Heaven probably because
the
>song was immediately recognizable after the first few notes, no matter
how
>poor the player was. Hearing a kid knock off the first chords of WGFA on
>crummy acoustic wouldn't have the same effect at all. I think that WGFA
is
>"easier" of the two.

Mark responds:
>Maybe. It sounds more complex to me.

Speaking as one of those kids, Jon is right.  I didn't start playing Who
songs until I understood some of the subtleties of Arrangement (actually,
after watching Pete on the Secret Policemen's Ball), even though I'd been
listening to them for years.  I just never felt that I could get a true
sound without much more equipment and people.  WGFA is a much simpler
song, but STH was much more recognizable, at least the part up to where
the solo starts, and (of course, most importantly) the girls loved it...
 :)

OK,
KLW