Re: Quad CD ripoff

>I try to keep my life simple and easy - I will just sit back and continue to
>enjoy the superior sound quality and warmth of my Japanese vinyl pressing of
>Quadrophenia (which I have yet to hear a CD successfully challenge BTW) and
>will laugh at those who swallow this crass commercailism called the
>remastered CD without any bonus tracks on it.

Greg:

Funny, I don't feel ripped off at all. I have the best sounding QUAD
available, and it's not every album that allows my speakers to strut their
stuff. This one does...it has the "blood and thunder" of LEEDS alongside
with the beautiful bits. Very nice. The Who at their best. I've just
finished listening to it and I feel very satisfied.
All in all, I guess that's what it's all about. Feeling satisfied with what
you've got. You can laugh at those of us who bought the CD, and me...I'll
delight in hearing the album as if for the first time again (`cause that's
what it's like) and bask in the glow of discoveries and delight in the
genius of Townshend, revealed again and again as the true complexities of
this work are uncovered for the first time. And the performance of Daltrey,
Entwistle, and Moon...now that I can hear them clearly.
BTW, about that myth of LPs sounding "warmer"...you DO know that due to the
sonic limitations of vinyl the music is compressed for records, and the
highs and lows are boosted to come over the sound of the noise of the needle
against the vinyl, right? That is the "warmth" of the LP.
CDs are more accurate to the original music. And that's why I prefer them.
Oh, and to your challenge of a `60s album sounding better on CD than
original released vinyl: BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. Oh, wait...how about:

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN
PET SOUNDS
WAITING FOR THE SUN
SGT. PEPPERS
ARE YOU EXPERIENCED
SOMETHING ELSE
BOOKENDS
TRAFFIC (second album)
REVOLVER

and lastly but not leastly:

SELL OUT

Just a few off the top of my head. And I thank the Universal Mind that I no
longer have to spring for expensive import vigin vinyl and damned expensive
cartridges for my turntable anymore.

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend