Entwistle review

To all Who-listers:
 The following review of John Entwistle's Jan. 25 show in Danbury, Conn.
appeared in the Hartford Courant of Jan. 27.
 Don't slay the messenger, guys!
  -- RL

GOOD AND BAD SONGS AND GREAT BASS PLAYING
By Roger Catlin
Courant Rock Critic
 "This is our first gig," John Entwistle apologized Thursday evening. "I'm
sure we're a bit rusty here and there. Bear with us."
 The venerable co-founder of the Who, 51, had to remove his thick fingers
from his spidery bass a few times to direct the rest of his band during its
set at Tuxedo Junction in Danbury. He had to indicate to drummer Steve
Luongo, already under considerable pressure to reproduce Keith Moon's
explosive drumwork, to speed up "My Wife." He chided keyboardist Alan St.
John for forgetting his backup vocals during "Had Enough."
 Half the 16 songs Entwistle and his band played were from the Who, for whom
he had become a reliable tunesmith by the band's end.
 "Success Story," the wry tale from "The Who By Numbers" and one of the best
songs all night, told of the rise and fall of a rock band "being successful
at least one time," he added sardonically before the few hundred fans.
 That song, and most of the others, were handled vocally by the rest of his
quartet. Guitarist Godfrey Townsend had an authentic Roger Daltrey rasp but
wasn't used as much as St. John, who had an annoying progressive-rock
delivery. Even Luongo, in addition to his passable Moon tribute on
drums, handled lead vocals, eventually taking over "My Wife."
 Entwistle was the one member of the Who who liked to tour, no matter what.
His last solo outing was eight years ago, when he toured despite not being
able to get an album out that he had recorded (the FBI closed down the record
company). This time out, he pressed 5,000 copies of that old album to sell
amid the $20 souvenir programs and $35 spider jewelry but otherwise had no
other compelling promotional reason to tour, other than just to play.
 The songs on the album, "The Rock," are probably his worst ever, reflecting
the last gasp of classic-rock stylings his band still prefers. The songs he
played from the 1981 album before it, "Love Is a Heart Attack" and "Too Late
the Hero," were just as bad.
 But it was worth sitting through them to get to the great stuff, or just to
watch Entwistle's often-overlooked bass playing in action up close.
Highlights included the opening "Heaven and Hell," a Who concert staple, and
in the two encores, a pair of oldies that appeared on "Live at Leeds." The
success of "Summertime Blues" and "Shakin' All Over" on that great live
alnum, reissued last year, was due in large part to Entwistle's inventive
musicianship; the latter brought the bassist's only extended soloing of
the night.
 The centerpiece, of course, was "Boris the Spider," in a version that threw
in a couple of other classics as well -- Mussorgsky's "A Night on Bald
Mountain" and Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring."
 Entwistle and his band also play the Sting in New Britain tonight [Saturday].