Monterey Festival - Correction

>A great quote, and one of the great rock stories.  Mark's comments about "who"
>would play first or last are "dead" on, especially about the point that the
>*loser* had to go on first.  In fact, one of the reasons that these two
>performances were just so damned *rockin'* was that the Who went out and made
>a "then top this, buddy!" kind of statement, and Hendrix sort of, um, did.
>Sure wish I'd have been there...  One of those things where you want to get
>out the old time machine, then lean over to your neighbour and say, "Watch
>this, it's going to be great."

Mike:

OK, I've checked now to see exactly where I got this bit of info. According
to them all, Townshend lost. My mistake.
However, according to Barnes, to Mama Cass's comment of: "Isn't that guy
stealing your act?" Pete replied, "Yeah, but, you see, he's so fucking
great, who cares." I'm pretty sure that I got that other quote from the 30
Years video.

>But Mark and I have a[nother] little difference of opinion here.  Regarding
>feedback, in one of Pete's interviews (Rolling Stone, I think, but he did say
>it, you can trust me, honest), he talked about how he and Dave Davies (Kinks)
>used to have "screaming matches" about which of them had invented feedback.
>So I'd say that use of controlled feedback was something that more than one
>creative guitarist did, or could have, figured out on their own, without
>having gone to this or that concert and thinking, "Hey, I can copy that!"
>It was probably somewhat of a mutual, evolutionary process, anyway, like lots
>of neat rock guitar style stuff.

Perhaps, but by all I've seen/heard The Kinks weren't using it until later
(and not much at that), and even The Beatles (who recorded it first) didn't
use it much. I'd have to give the nod to Pete, because obviously (if I may
steal one of your words) he used it as a major part of his guitar sound
(which the others did not...until Hendrix).

>And regarding the drumming, without direct confirmation from Mitch Mitchell
>(who would have been the one who "took the method", not Jimi), I wouldn't
>say that Mitch modelled his drumming style after Keith's, certainly not when
>you consider that there were some famous "wild man" drummers (in the jazz
>world, at least) before Keith.  (I mean, didn't Moonie have influences too?)

I should have been a bit clearer here...what I meant was the sum of
Hendrix's sound was very, very much taken from The Who's...and part of that
was Mitchel's drumming (more than Redding's bass, surely).

      Cheers                              ML