Re: Getting it all together

>}As for who doesn't have the boxed set yet, do you feel that stat would hold
>}true if the boxed set would have contained nothing but unreleased material?
>}Yes, I think that would change the picture a bit.
>}...
>
>Unfortunately, I think that it would change the picture in the other direction
>than the one you're implying, Mark.  Sure, we could probably count on most
of >the people on the Who lists getting a boxed set of unreleased Who
material, but >what about the great unwashed CD-buying public?  I'd hazard a
guess that the >public at large buy CDs by groups that aren't in their list
of personal >favourites because they have songs that they like, and
therefore recognize.

Mike:

Well, exactly what I said was that more people on this Digest would have
bought 30 YEARS had it been completely unreleased. I am also of the opinion
that a casual fan (who might get TOMMY and WHO'S NEXT) would pass on 30
YEARS (as might some hard core fans, because they already have the CDs they
want) but would be interested in a live retrospective. This hinges, of
course, on an aggressive marketing campaign. Similar to the Petty one, which
had TV ads. Picture it, if you will: hot Who music in the background, video
of the band in concert, voice over "The greatest live band in Rock history.
(insert: Daltrey scream) THE WHO! Live, and uncensored. Six hours of the
most powerful music - ever - made. (insert: Townshend windmill) Now at
stores all across the land! THE UNMITIGATED WHO." (fade out synth "meeps"
from WGFA)

Besides, songs the "great unwashed ect." like would be on the set.

     Cheers                         ML