Re: Getting it all together

}Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 19:01 -0500 (EST)
}From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
}
}...
}As for who doesn't have the boxed set yet, do you feel that stat would hold
}true if the boxed set would have contained nothing but unreleased material?
}Yes, I think that would change the picture a bit.
}...

Unfortunately, I think that it would change the picture in the other direction
than the one you're implying, Mark.  Sure, we could probably count on most of the
people on the Who lists getting a boxed set of unreleased Who material, but what
about the great unwashed CD-buying public?  I'd hazard a guess that the public at
large buy CDs by groups that aren't in their list of personal favourites because
they have songs that they like, and therefore recognize.  (Not to mention replacing
their vinyl with newer technology.)  Which is probably why there are numerous Tommy
and Quadrophenia CDs, and why MCA can get away with their shoddy treatment of the
Who's catalogue.  There aren't that many registered Who-listers:  thewho had 152
members, and thewho-digest had 159, as of 16Dec95--and some people are on both lists.

However, maybe there's a bright spot in the future:  MCA has recently been bought
by Seagram's, which is a Canadian company (personal prejudice suggests that it
might be more clued in :-), and which is known for its manufacture of alcoholic
beverages (of which the Who are / have been know to partake :*) ...