Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

Mark, re:

>>They were recording each and every show, as they would to get material for
a live album. Are you saying that the four released songs all came from SF?
First I've heard of that.

Bargain, My Wife, Baby Don't You Do It, and Going Down all came from the SF
show. Buy the boot and you can hear them over again in <Picard> like quality!

>>How long have they been working on these remixes? And they haven't tracked
down all of the tapes yet? Boy, I wish I could be that slack at my job!

They started with "the box set", then Chris C, convinced them to do all of it
as they already were 1/3 of the way through remixing everything. They got
real serious with "Sell Out" and "Leeds", but...

The problem is method. They started out (and possibly still are using) with a
"hunt and peck" method, ie "hello, MCA warehouse? Do you have ____ in your
inventory? Yes? OK send it to us." See, that's the wrong way of doing it
given the fact that many of these tapes are close to 30 years old and are
poorly labeled AND your relying on some dip-<Picard> clerk to give you a good
answer. That's why I suggested to them to "recall" every single tape from
every world-wide warehouse and have someone go through and identify each and
everyone one of them. All the <Picard> can be destroyed. Let's put this in a
logistical perspective, WHO is going to do this? Who is capable of doing
this? That's part of the problem. You need to be a "Who expert" in order to
know, a) which is which, b) what's been released previously. I'll take it one
step further, say I'm Pete Townshend and I like you, Mark. "Hello, Mark? This
is Pete, I have a request of you..." Now he gives you the live stuff from '71
and none of it is labeled." You may do a great job with the compilation, but
you'll definately <Riker> up the liner notes. That's where an expert like
Doug (Boris6) comes in. I betcha he can identify pretty well almost any live
performance they ever did... I'd certainly feel comfortable with the studio
performance end of it, but nobody's offered me the kind of money I would need
to "replace" my regular job and do this for a living. Starting to see my
point? Look, I'd be willing to do the job right as a volunteer. However, I
can guarantee it would be very time consuming and thus a very slow process.
So, when you think about "those" people "over there", remember that they're
just human beings too. Pete Townshend doesn't even remember what song version
is what and while these people who are involved are "fans", they aren't as
"intense" at it as we are. Therefore, they may make mistakes. And of course,
there's the factor that "the longer you stare at something the blinder you
become". Well... I supplied the discography for the JAE Tourbook. Here I'm
driving to NYC yesterday and I say to myself <Picard>! (actually, I used the
real word) did I forget "Doctor, Doctor"??? And I worried about it until I
got home. Fortunately, it was there!!! Just keep in mind that we're dealing
with people, not machines. Yes, I would do things a lot differently, but I'm
coming from a different perspective...

>>a Jam CD of rarities including Disguises and So Sad About Us.

What's the name of the CD? I like their version of "Disguises", but I don't
recall hearing their version of "So Sad About Us", although for all I know, I
have it someplace...

wf