Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

Mark, re:

>I think that we can assume that they would use a good as well as complete
show.

Don't assume anything. You would have thought that would have been the case
for "Who's Last" and learned the mistakes of the same for "Join Together".

>>Uh...yes, I think the guitar playing is more accomplished on Toronto than
it is on LEEDS.

That may or may not be true. However, it's hard to get past the vocals, which
are kinda wiped...

>You'd be surprised what's left. Remember, even the master tapes for "Tommy"
were burned up by Kit Lambert.

>>So where did Mobile Fidelity get them from not so many years ago?

They got their tapes from Pete Townshend. However, they weren't the master
tapes, they were a copy tape. As a matter of fact, the vocal for that
"Eyesight To The Blind" was recorded ~'72/'73. Mobile Fidelity doesn't always
use "master tapes". It's too bad they advertise it that way.

>>Didn't Charlesworth say that we "hadn't heard the best TOMMY live yet?" He
must have some choices, in that case.

Actually, he likes the "Leeds" "Tommy" very much. Right now, they have
"Hull", "Leeds" and "Isle Of Wight", which I've been told is nowhere near as
good as "Leeds". Hey, we can also say, "we hadn't heard the best TOMMY live
yet" too. We don't have them either!

>>We also know that they recorded the `71 tour, as they planned to release
another live album (from which we've gotten Baby Don't You Do It, Bargain,
Going Down, and My Wife from so far) but decided that it sounded "too much
like LEEDS."

Yes, they have San Fransico '72 and The Young Vic '71, possibly more, but not
confirmed.

When it comes to tape inventory, just stop and think for a moment HOW the
master tapes that made "From Lifehouse To Leeds" ended up in the dumpster. I
think that tells you something. Many of the tapes aren't labeled properly or
even labeled at all. After listening to the stuff over and over you get
"blinded" by it too. They actually thought they put the "Odds & Sods" version
of "Too Much Of Anything" on "Who's Next". Give that some serious (or
semi-serious) thought. Part of the problem is that they're way too close to
it. We take this stuff much more seriously then they do. Fortunately, there
is one person in the loop who REALLY cares and trust me, that helps!

>>In the case of a TV performance, coming early on in their career, it would
sound better than a remote live recording. We know from The Beatles'
ANTHOLOGY that the songs can sound pretty good. All of these shows must pay
royalties to The Who Group, so there are records of each and every one.

That may be OK for a video compilation. But for a legit release, I think we
all have higher standards than that. If I want to listen to some <Picard>
recordings, I can take out my Young Vic and play that. The Who are too good
to be reduced down to some poor sounding, badly mixed mono recording. And of
course, you're assuming that these tapes exist too. Hard to say.

Keep in mind this. People have to be paid to "track these tapes down". The
payroll isn't unlimited. Look at "A Quick One". There was absolutely no
excuse for that. Fortunately, with a little needling, it's being
reconsidered. As for "My Generation", someone give me Shel Talmy's e-mail
address!

>>Two dollars??? Who told you that? 50 cents would be closer to the mark, and
even then I'm talking about a small operation.

Yup, small run, including printing of inserts, jewel cases, etc for a quality
job, is about $2. I'm sure for MCA, it's down to pennys per disc...

>>That's just great. We had a hard enough time coming up with a definite date
for Whofest, and now it's once again subject to change. I did check the site
for the tour dates, but they didn't go that far into March. Who knows, the
House Of Blues might be finished by then and he can play there.

I dunno Mark, I think they tuned into the "Digest" and saw some of your views
and said "<Riker> Myrtle Beach!" I hope to have an updated tour schedule
posted early next week... Hopefully, there will still be a venue close to
your home...

>>I think they have more than you think they do. With access to more, if they
would just do a bit of research. Most (if not all) of the stuff we would
want IS available to them in some form or another. The only great loss is
the `68 tour, and they can still work from Fillmore East `68 and make it
sound great.

I wouldn't be surprised to see what's floating around out there. I'd even be
happy if they "recalled" all of the Who tapes from the tape warehouses around
the world, sorted through them and destroyed all the many-generations-removed
tapes (that would pratically clean MCA out!). I've spoken to them about it
and they think it's a good idea. Unfortunately, it's also a lot of work! They
do have the Fillmore and plan on using "some of it" (gee, that will be nice
to have again!). I believe it's on a 2 track, so what you can do with it, who
knows...  As for "other" tapes. They're just not going to use "any" tape. I
had a LONG discussion with Jon Astley about this. What you or I might do is
different than what they want to do and, they're the one's in charge.
Personally, I'd like to see only quality stuff being released. However, I'd
bust my <Bev Crusher> night and day to make sure it was done right.

>>Good luck, and I'll be looking for it today myself...hoping it will get
down
here this fast.

Sounds good! If I ever get out of here this morning, and don't freeze my
<Bev> in the <Riker> city and then the thing better <Riker> sound good!

Gee, good thing we're friends! Someone not knowing us may think differently!

WF <~