Re: Pete's guitar playing in 79 & 82

Mark, re:

>I certainly prefer the RCMH version to the one released on JT. Which is what
my argument is all about.

Not really, your argument was about "a complete show", not necessarily a
"better" show. For example, had they done JT as the "complete" LA
Amphitheater show, it would have met your criteria, yet it still wouldn't
have been as good as Radio City.

>Disc two was from many shows, and so that makes my argument rather than
undermines it.

Not at all. Had all the performances, mixes and songs been good, I think you
and everyone else would have been happy. On disc 2, I'm happy with "Trick Of
The Light", does that mean, I would have been happier, if all the other songs
on that disc came from the same show? For all we know, Roger couldn't sing
that night! And... what if they did the same song selection and performed
them exactly the same way? How would "the same concert" have made them
better???

>. I think, had they released Toronto, you
>would have been more positive about the album.
>Besides, they do a great YMB and Naked Eye on there. Not to mention Cry If
>You Want.

> I think, had they released Toronto, you would have been more positive about
the album. Besides, they do a great YMB and Naked Eye on there. Not to
mention Cry If You Want.

Not really. I have the ability to make a perfect dub off the VHS Hi-Fi of
Toronto, yet that ranks last on my list of things to do. I've even avoided
buying the Japanese Laser disc up 'till now. I think that the Toronto show
started out strong with "My Generation", but fizzled out almost immediately
thereafter. Roger's voice was very strained and they were playing almost like
they were asleep. I like two songs from that concert: "It's Hard" and
"Eminence Front" (my favorite live version). That's about it, sad to say...
You can't compare that version of "Young Man Blues" to "Leeds"...

>Well, for all I knew you were keeping them updated.

Mark, if I were to fax them all the banter on this forum, don't you think
they'd change their fax #'s??? The proper way to send information like this
is in a consolidated fashion. I asked everyone their opinions. To those who
responsed, I summarized and included it in my letter. They met, discussed it
and went on with their business. The "seed" has been planted. When "Who By
Numbers" comes out (or perhaps before), we'll find out what kinda impact the
"information" had, by it's bonus tracks. When they're ready to start the
"live" project, they may get a "friendly reminder". Just remember:

A friend in need...   ...is a pest!

>>I can say this: the band recorded their performances from `68 on. There is
a complete library of the TOMMY tour(s), and The Who have (or at least had)
it. I have no doubt that they have plenty of material to chose from.
You'd be surprised what's left. Remember, even the master tapes for "Tommy"
were burned up by Kit Lambert. They couldn't find the masters for "A Quick
One", or all the masters for "Who's Next", what makes you think that this
"library" is so complete? It's not. Pete Townshend, fortunately, took great
care of his demos. Unfortunately, the same is NOT true of The Who archives.
And... if you read your Who history books, you'll recall that they recorded
"Leeds" after being frustrated by listening to the tapes from the American
tour that year and they "burned them all"...

>>Riddle me this: how can they have only a few songs from here and there? If
they recorded the entire show (and surely they didn't record just PART of a
show), and I think we can assume that they did. Then there are sources like
King Biscuit, Westwood One, television broadcasts...sure, they'll have to buy
the rights.

How? Things got lost, thrown out, given away, etc over the years. Nobody was
minding the store. Personally, I don't want a "live" performance from a TV
broadcast. We got some of that on "The Kids Are Alright" and it sounds like
<Picard>! As for "buying rights", the fans know where more of this stuff is
"hidden", then they do in some cases.

>> But the production costs are so low compared to producing a new album, how
can they complain??? No matter how few copies they sell, they can't lose! You
are aware, I'm sure, of how little it costs to manufacture a CD. The
packaging costs more than the CD! Low production costs, low manufacturing
costs...they can certainly "take the risk" of putting out something that
isn't completely commercial!

CDs cost less than $2 each in quantity. So? What about royalties? Marketing?
The people in the studio remastering them? Everyone in the <Riker> world that
has a "piece of the action"??? It's nowhere near that simple. And then of
course, you have the artists, who say, "I don't like that performance." And
then they can it. All I can tell you about my recent involvements is this,
NONE of it is "easy"...

>>You saw what I thought should be on the live boxed set. It was made up of
all of the "unreleased" songs they played live (that I know of), plus
definitive versions of their classics. I don't want another "greatest hits"
live album, but I wouldn't mind getting Baba O'Riley etc. from the `71 tour.
Surely it was more powerful than the one on KIDS and WL! If they are to
include their most known songs again, then they should be as they were
released (as in My Generation from `65, `66). That would make them valuable,
don't you think, and more than welcome.

It was a good list. Unfortunately, it wasn't realistic as the tapes to most
of the stuff you had on there don't exist...

>>I am also looking forward to seeing Entwistle, now that I know that he's
playing here (and during the second Whofest, too...quite nice the way that
worked out). Although I must wait until the end of March. The pleasure of
sharing the experience with other BB Who fans will make it worth the wait.

Unfortunately, you may have to wait a bit longer. I should have a revised
tour schedule on Monday, but right now, the 31st of March doesn't look so
hot. Hopefully, that will get straightened out...

BTW, for the record, I wish they had tapes of every studio & live performance
they ever did. Unfortunately, that wish ain't gonna happen...

wf <~ who didn't get the new "Oklahoma '68" tonight, but now hopes to
          "snag" it tomorrow afternoon...