Re: The Who vs. Zep/Power Chords/Marshall Stack

>     My feeling about the thread "the Who versus Zep" is that it is similar
>     to the argument about whether Pete "invented" power chords and the
>     Marshall Stack.
>
>     I think that "pioneered" is probably a better term for it.  There's no
>     question that the Who pioneered the way for later bands like Zep.
>     Similarly, Pete didn't invent Power chords, but he certainly pioneered
>     their use in Rock music.

Mark:
Since I didn't get into too much trouble the last time...

I would have to put it this way: Pete put the "power" in power chords.
Before that, they were just chords. Townshend didn't play the guitar; he
savaged it (at least, during power chording).

>     Now, to add fuel to the "Who vs Zep" debate.  I've often thought that
>     LAL was heavily influenced by Zep.   Daltrey's vocals seem to be
>     dripping with Plant influences.  The guitar is very prominent and the
>     long MG segue (sp?), as well as the many extended guitar solo's seem
>     to echo Page's influence at the time.  LAL also represents a change
>     from Pete's guitar work being almost exclusively chordal like WN and
>     being more solo based.

You might not say that if you had heard Live At The Filmore East 1968, which
has The Who in full Leeds form just before Zep made the scene. Those vocals
are there, as well as the extended soloing (Relax, for instance).
You're thinking of the studio stuff...The Who were quite a different animal
live. This can also be seen in the Monterey Pop material, a year earlier...

             Cheers                         ML