2/17/96 JAE @ Louisville Toy Tiger

     Small club, SRO crowd ~200, I'd guess ...

     Excellent sound mix from start to finish ...

     JAE & band in excellent spirits, even before someone
bought them a round during the show ... John & co.
arrived early & mingled, went to a local radio promo,
came back & mingled, signed & gave away a $1700 bass
guitar (to a young lady who's never touched one in her
life, wouldn't you know); we might've gotten a second
encore if they weren't heading overnight to Atlanta ...
<sigh> ...

     One soul emerged from a cave to shout "you're too
loud" -- John grinned & boomed "you're f*ckin' right we
are!!!" -- crowd roared the malcontent back into oblivion ...

     Godfrey almost drooled over the server in the
Budweiser micro-dress ... played & sang like a maniac
who *really* loves his work, although the voice is
closer to Brian Johnson (AC/DC) than Pete or Roger.
But he's here, and they're not -- good 'nuff.  :}

     Alan St. Jon sang & pounded "power keys" like the
second coming of Ken Hensley ...

     Steve Luongo bloody near demolished the drum kit ...

     Yes, folks, this was a great one: "not the old Who,"
but by golly "it didn't stop for John Entwistle." Joni's
Butterfly still make me think "grunge & roses," but they
have one of the best sound mixes I've heard from an
opening act. They care about what they're doing, and
it shows all the way to & through the sound board.
And, on this night, a demolished mike stand ...

     Oh, yes. Fang wants a setlist, I suppose <grin>:

Intro: Country Hurricane (redneck wannabes try
     to make c*ntry records for 20 years, and JAE
     captures its "essence" on the very first try ...  ;}

Heaven and Hell
Had Enough
Success Story
Trick of the Light
Bridges Under the Water
The Real Me
Love Doesn't Last
Boris the Spider (extended)
Life After Love
You
Last Song
My Wife
Long Live Rock
<encore>
Summertime Blues
Shakin' All Over (extended)

     The tour schedule looks like they're playing
five days a week through California in early
March, so it might be too much to expect much
deviation from the list that they're comfortable
with, that the crowds enjoy and that promotes
the new record ...

     The club apparently took a cue from a crew
shirt, and played Queensryche's "Operation
Mindcrime" before & after the live sets. Probably
the only place in Louisville that still has it on the
playlist. Has John (or anyone else on the tour)
had anything to say about that record or band?
As a concept album, "Mindcrime" certainly
follows the "everyman wandering through life"
themes we see in Tommy & Quad, through
cynical eyes somewhat reminiscent of The Ox
himself ("Revolution Calling" and "I Don't Believe
In Love" for example).

     Many thanx to Leslie & Perry, for booking the
band & making some tix suddenly appear on my
bulletin board. Great people who brought a great
time to the River City -- see y'all in Cincy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob