Re: Mark, this Zep thing....

Mark, re:

>.... I must admit, and with all due respect to both of you, that that
>"discussion" was causing me to <yawn> quite a bit.

>>>These are some of the not-too-bad things that arise from such a discussion:
1) It gets people to re-examine the music.
2) It brings up information that some newer fans may not be aware of.
3) It widens the range of topics beyond just what's happening right now with
reissues and the Entwistle tour.
4) It brings some all but forgotten (to the general listener) names to the
forefront...like Muddy Waters, Alexis Korner, John Mayall, Howling Wolf.
This can only broaden those who chose to explore the debate. No Rock band
stands alone, and there's nothing bad about dicussing influences.

     I agree with all of the above.

>>> I would guess that those who were somewhat disenchanted with the debate
are those who are already aware of this information.

     I can't speak for everyone, but for me a "Who vs Zeppelin" is an old
debate.  When I was in high school, I was a drummer in a band.  The guitarist,
who I will say was okay in a "fundamental" sense, but not very deep, loved
the Who.  He had a guitar-playing friend who loved Zeppelin.  They loved to
argue about which band was better, and "my" guitarist would always try to
sway my attitude about it.  My attitude was (and still is!), 'hey, shut up...
I like 'em both'.  So your discussion was like a flashback to that whole
bullshit thing that kinda turned me off.  Don't get me wrong;  I can get into
discussing the Who and Zeppelin.  (That, and for current info, is why I
subscribe to the list!!)  It's the "Who VS Zeppelin", that underlying theme
of "which one is better", or "they did it first, so they're better" that I
can't get into.  (IMHO).

>>>  [These discussions] ... allow less informed fans the advantage of finding
out more about the bands in question.

     Yes, I agree.

>>> And, if you really want to do something great...add some more info!

     I just did.

>>> You can call that a rationalization if you wish...but I see this Digest as
a resource where people can learn more about The Who and those who relate in
any way to The Who. Which is the reason I sometimes get drawn into a debate
here (and elsewhere). If my input is less than welcome, I'm sorry.

     Actually, I think I learn more about WHO FANS than the Who and those who
relate to the Who!!  But I don't mind that, and some things I have learned
here are valuable to me.  It was on this list I found out where to get the
long version of "Magic Bus"!  (Collective <GROAN!>  Now there's a topic I bet
put EVERYONE to sleep!).
     Really, discussion/debate is healthy.  It means you're thinking.  And
as far as I'm concerned, your input is *never* "less than welcome".

>>> But I would like to add what little I can to other fans' knowledge of Rock
music. For whatever twisted reason, that's rather important to me.

     ...You sick and "twisted" individual!

                gary m.

PS:  How about "Boobity's Best Compact Discs"?