Re: Pete tribute review - long

In article <4g2618$j7f@matrix.eden.com>, amck@news.eden.com (Alan
McKendree) wrote:

In article <4fmrg9$s3e@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Kimbuk3 <kimbuk3@aol.com> wrote:

>7 Deadly 5 - unknown* and So Sad About Us

>* Can you help me name these songs?  The John Easdale lyrics were "All I
>can do is love you."  Familiar, but I can't think of it.  The 7 deadly 5
>song was about a girl who sings, her teacher ignores her, she becomes
>famous and ignores him.

As posted elsewhere (thanks to the poster), the John Easdale song was
"Sleeping Dog", originally released on Pete's Meher Baba album and also
appearing on the re-released "Who's First" as a bonus track.

I think the 7 Deadly 5 song you're referring to is "Odorono", from the Who
Sell Out album.  It has the lines in it, "She sang the best she'd ever
sang/she couldn't ever sing any better/But she knew she'd failed the test/she
knew he would forget her."  The man in question isn't her teacher, but a man
she hopes to impress both professionally and romantically.  She doesn't
become famous, but there's the line "Triumphant! was the way she felt..."
when he comes to her dressing room backstage after her performance, which
might have led you to believe she had become famous.  She winds up losing
him after all, because her deodorant lets her down and offends him :-).
It's really a beautiful song, and I've always sort of regretted its
pie-in-the-face ending.

I can see how it could be a confusing song (depending on the, um,
presentation), if you were hearing it for the first time.  Check it out on
the original album and see whether its the song you're thinking of.

HTH,

Alan

Alan McKendree                      amck@eden.com
Customer Support / Accounting Tyro / System Poker
Adhesive Media, Inc.             512-478-9900x206