Re: The Who Vs The Rest

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Zep. "As Long As I Have You Medley" San Fran 27 April 1969

Gary:

	RE:> of course, the "squeeze my lemon" part ripped off from Robert
Johnson!

	...And Robert Johnson stole it from Art McKay's 1937 song "She
Squeezed My Lemon."  Pete Townshend is fond of Elvis' Costello's quote,
"Every good artist is a magpie and a thief," and it's certainly apt
here.  "Stealing" is a tried and true tradition in the blues and jazz
genres.  Classical composers were also known to spin "variations" off
of each other with great regularlity....
	Every good wish--Tom Farrell