Re: The Who`s influence

>However, his "chordal-based guitar sound"
> descends directly from the Delta blues.  Muddy Waters, Son House, Robert
>Johnson and others used to play by themselves at dances.

Scott:

All of what you say is true. My contention is that Townshend broke the
"Blues barrier" with My Generation, and at that point had gone beyond
them...thus creating Rock.

>BTW, this is not just IMHO-Mr. Townshend himself told me of his love for the
>Delta blues.  Listen to the acoustic guitar solo that segues Overture/It's A
>Boy on TOMMY.  This is a perfect example of Delta-style guitar playing.
>  Imagine Young Man Blues on acoustic instead of electric-more Delta style.
> Of course, he took it in many different directions away from strict blues.

The Young Man Blues on Marquee Club `64 makes it easy to imagine as an
acoustic number, there being no effects on the guitar. You might want to
check it out.

       Cheers                          ML