Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>>Now that we've established that it was in fact Plant that was the majority
>>shareholder in the Zep songwriting arena, there is no conflict with a Who
>>influence.
>
>When did we establish this fact?  I feel Page is the primary writer in every
>Zep song up to say Houses of the Holy.  Musically, Page has always been the
>main songwriter.  Plant basically learned to write songs from Page and
>you'll notice that he gradually gains an equal partnership.  But it's not
>until Houses of the Holy that Plant's influence comes through on many of the
>songs.

Ian:

We were looking at the solo albums and the direction they took. From that,
it can be seen that Plant was much more of a force than was ever known at
the time. When it happened I can't say. Zep III seems to show it, though.

>But what does Cream coming after the Who have to do
>with anything?  Cream's early sound is straight from Mayall, which is why I
>included him.  Again what Mayall and the Yardbirds were doing was totally
>different from the Who's direction and Zep II is clearly from the former's
>style.

I don't agree with that, certainly. Clapton's songs showed Mayall's
influence, but I couldn't say the same about Bruce and Baker...not to
mention Pappalardi. I see the bombastic quality of The Who (live, anyway) in
Zep II. Young Man Blues (which The Who were doing as far back as `64) would
be an ancestor, I think.

>>>The Who's lasting impact on rock music is on stage presence, and their
>> songs
>>>that eventually influenced punk in the late 70's.
>>
>>I would say The Who's influence goes a lot deeper than mere stage
>> presence.
>
>On the surface, it doesn't.

I would give musicians, who were the ones influenced, credit for looking
below the surface.

>>>From this I would say VU had a clear influence on the US punk bands while
>>the >Who were all over the UK punk bands of the same period.  Comparing the
>>Jam to >the Talking Heads is a good start.
>>
>>Actually, The Talking Heads' major influence was (was is called) Bubble
>> Gum.
>>As they themselves have said.

>Where did you read this?  Three of the members were huge James Brown fans
>and also listed Lou Reed as an influence.  Psycho Killer has VU written all
>over it.

Again, I didn't say it was the only influence!
Here's a quote for you from Stephen Kaplan and Arthur Marko of Performance
Records: "Ten years after the Bubble Gum scene, new wave artists like The
Talking Heads (who for years included 1,2,3 Red Light in their live set),
Blondie, The Cars, and The Ramones all affectionately acknowledge The Ohio
Players and The 1910 Fruitgum Company." If you want a direct quote from
David Byrne, you'll have to give me a little time to find one.

                           Cheers                   ML