Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>I have to disagree with this.  First of all, there was a true blues movement
>coming out of Britian in the mid 60's while the Who were exploring the R+B
>angle in their music.  Zeppelin is clearly influenced by Cream and John
>Mayhall before the Who pop into the equation.  Since Jimmy Page was bred
>with one of the earliest brit blues bands (Yardbirds) I have to throw out
>the Who influence completely.

Ian:
I said Zeppelin, not Page. I think it's clear that Zep II (and after) shows
Who influence.
Now that we've established that it was in fact Plant that was the majority
shareholder in the Zep songwriting arena, there is no conflict with a Who
influence.
BTW, Cream came after The Who. I think The Yardbirds would closer to a pure
example.
Also, I never said that Zep was ONLY influenced by The Who.

>The Who's lasting impact on rock music is on stage presence, and their songs
>that eventually influenced punk in the late 70's.

I would say The Who's influence goes a lot deeper than mere stage presence.

>From this I would say VU had a clear influence on the US punk bands while
the >Who were all over the UK punk bands of the same period.  Comparing the
Jam to >the Talking Heads is a good start.

Actually, The Talking Heads' major influence was (was is called) Bubble Gum.
As they themselves have said. And again I must disagree; the British Punks
certainly were exposed to VU...Bowie brought Lou Reed's music to the
forefront in the early 70s.

                           Cheers                   ML