Godfrey slights Keef

A funny anecdote from the Boston JAE show...

After the show, Godfrey Townsend showed up by the coaqttcheck where my buddy
Nick was collecting his coat.  Godfrey gave some autographs, handed out some
guitart picks and chatted to the fans.

He was asked who his guitar playing influences were, and responded with the
usual Clapton, Page, Santana, etc etc.  Then, my buddy Nick <who is a *rabid*
Stones fan, btw, and had had perhaps a few too many Newcaslte Brown Ales at
this point> said "How about Keith Richards?"  to which Godfrey replied "He
Sucks!".

Well, Nick has probably assaulted people for less derogatory Stones comments,
and was at this time operating with a somewhat diminished moral capacity....

Suffice to say that Godfrey quickly recanted when he realized what he might
be dealing with and made some distinction that Keff sucked as a lead
guitarist, but was perhaps one of the greatest rythym guitarists which
apparently difffused the situation.

Although GT came out for autographs, JAE did not, despite the promise of the
CD salesman who said John would autograph them that night.  I understand a
few peiople with passes met him, but I was one of the many disappointed who
waited, but  were booted out by the Mamakin staff.  The people at Mamkin were
extremely rude from the moment we walked in to the moment we left.  every
one.  which makes me suspect rudeness is a corporate policy there.

Long Live Rock.