Re: Bass Necks

 JenniferD wrote:
>In particular, I realized just how much John had that bass-neck
lengthened!  I thought for a >split second that some of these guys were
having the necks shortened! How many frets did >John have added to his
bass?

John was playing Alembic basses some of which, particularly John's custom
basses, feature extra frets, like some guitars do. I picked up one in a
store in Atlanta to try it out and the first thing you notice is that those
Alembics ARE HEAVY. I couldn't imagine playing one of those mothers for 3
hours on stage. With the 5 built in effects and 4, generally, extra frets,
this sucker weighed a ton compared to the fretless Peavy basses I use. My
hats off to John for having the stamina to play this thing for so long! No
wonder he didn't move around alot! Also, the basses look really long and
big on John because John is not as big as people think he is. He is of
average height so the bass looks typically big on him.
Eddie