Re: Tap and Monkees/Dancehall

Jim wrote:

> Um, the Monkees and Spinal Tap were not real bands.  They were created to
> present the image of real bands (Monkees-->Beatles; Tap--> most hard
> rock/heavy metal bands of 70s, including our beloved Who).

I was attempting a Tap joke. Hugely talented/badly packaged = airport security
scene and album cover fiasco. I'd agree they reflect a lot of the bands of that
time, not least Mott the Hoople, IMHO, because of Ian Hunter's book.

I still tend to think that the Monkees showed the music industry that it was
possible to put together a bunch of less-than-geniune "performers" and make a
commercial success of them with the correct presentation and producer/sessionman
assistance. That seems to me to have been their legacy - and Duran one of it's
eventual results.

and Mark L wrote:

> I believe firmly that all British Rock bands of the `60s were thus
> influenced. Take a song like Cobwebs And Strange...a bit Dancehall, no? A
> bit campy and over-the-top.

Yep, that's Moonie having fun - and even Cream did "Mother's Lament". BTW, the
most campy and over-the-top (also thoroughly entertaining) band I've ever seen
were American - The Tubes!!!

Cheers,
Mark T.