PsychD Rebuttal

Without repeating it all, Pete Best said:

>>Great info on PT's offer of a "studio" lp in '89....I wonder out loud
whether this would have been some of the material that ended up on "Psycho.."
(and I know I'm about to be crucified...)  I really think PT's stuff(post-EG)
went progressively downhill, (bashing may proceed..)

I don't feel a need to bash.  I simply disagree.  While I agree that
Psychoderelict is deeply flawed, I also believe it to be brilliant in its
thematic and artistic explorations and periodically riveting in its
execution.

Put more specifically, I'm of the opinion that (Pete Best's view not
withstanding) the more one knows of the themes Pete has explored throughout
the course of his songwriting and interviews, the more utterly fascinating
PsychoD.  It blends and weaves numerous Townshend threads both conceptually
and in terms of songwriting and dialogue.

As for the songs themselves, I agree that the first half of the album (save
for "English Boy") is not all that impressive.  However, I think "Now and
Then," "Make Me Real," "Predictable," "Fake It," and "I Am Afraid" are amonst
Pete's best work.

*As an aside, seeing PsychoD on stage really brought it to life.  It was a
killer stage production, blending elements of rock, stage, and projection
performance.  Additionally, it was in many ways the pre-cursor/blueprint for
the current production of Quadrophenia.

P.S.  While I agree that Iron Man doesn't particularly hold together as an
album, I think the songs on which Pete has lead vocals are some of his finest
work.