The Who In August (and 25 Years of Who's Next)

     20 Years ago this month:
        Top album U.S. - "Breezin'" - George Benson; Britain - "20 Golden
     Greats" - The Beach Boys
        The Who begin another short U.S. tour, performing at the Capital
     Center outside Washington, D.C. on the 3rd and 4th and in Miami on the
     8th.  The Who then vacation in Miami.  2 days later, Moon is arrested
     after destroying his room at the Fountainbleu Hotel.  Manager Bill
     Curbishley, after bailing Moon out, has him committed to the
     Hollywood, Florida Memorial Hospital for "psychiatric evaluation."
     Moon is released 3 days later.
        An edited version of "Slip Kid" backed with "Dreaming From The
     Waist" is released in the U.S. as a single on the 7th.  It fails to
     chart.
        Eric Clapton's LP "No Reason To Cry" is released with liner notes
     by Pete.

     25 Years ago this month
        Top album U.S. - "Tapestry" - Carole King; Britain - "Top Of The
     Pops, Vol. 18"
        The Who's U.S. tour continues with dates in Saratoga Springs, NY
     (2nd), Boston (5th & 6th), Cleveland (12th), Dayton (13th), Chicago
     (17th, 18th & 19th)
        "Who's Next" is released in the U.S. on the 14th.  It reaches #4.
        "Who's Next" is released in Britain on the 25th.  It reaches #1.

     30 Years ago this month
        Top single U.S. - "Summer In The City" - The Lovin' Spoonful;
     Britain - "Yellow Submarine" - The Beatles
        "I'm a Boy" recorded at IBC Studios, London on the 1st.
        "The Kids Are Alright" backed with "The Ox" is released in Britain by
     Brunswick, The Who's old label, on the 12th.  It reaches #41.
        "In The City," "Batman," "Barbara Ann," "Bucket T," "Heatwave," and "Man
     With The Money" are recorded at IBC Studios, London.
        The Merseys release "So Sad About Us" as a single in Britain.
        The Who appear on "Ready Steady Go!" on the 20th.
        "I'm a Boy" backed with "In The City" is released in Britain on the
     26th.  It reaches #2 on the NME charts, tying with "My Generation" as The
     Who's highest charting single ever in Britain.  (In Melody Maker it goes
     all the way to #1).

     P.S. I'm going on a long planned vacation to Seattle next month and will
     hence be incommunicado.  If Who tickets suddenly go on sale in the
     Southeast in the next 2 weeks, would someone mind please leaving me a
     message at 404-233-7309?  Thanks.

                                        -Brian