Re: Last Two Albums

>I'd rather have Chris Thomas, who IMHO was Pete's best producer (not to
>mention The Sex Pistols, etc). That could easily give The Who back some of
>the "bite" they lacked on the last two albums.

No sense looking for scapegoats, Face Dances and It's Hard couldn't have been
made better by Chris Thomas, George Martin, Phil Spector or any other
producer - there just wasn't the material to work with.  The Who as an entity
had "broken their music muscle", as a friend and I are fond of saying about
artists who are creatively dead.

Glyn Johns is top-notch and I think he achieved a good sound on IH but the
failure of the album lies at the feet of the band.  As for FD, Bill
Szymczyk's sound was a departure from the usual and could do nothing to
transform songs like "Cache Cache", "Did You Steal My Money?" and "How Can
You Do It Alone?" into winners.

JJM