Re: Dogs

Gary M., re:
}
}Anyone who is in London in June to see the Hyde Park Quadrophenia may want
}to visit one of the surviving dog tracks around London to enjoy in real life
}the atmosphere evoked by the Who`s charming but oddball song Dogs.
}

I'm not James Herriot, but to insert a bit of non-romantic reality into the
picture, I certainly not made unhappy by the shutdown of any dog tracks.

Dog racing is all about money, not about dogs.  The dogs that outlive their
usefulness to their owners are for the far greater part not retired to stud,
but are just plain discarded--neglected, abandoned or killed, far too often
in a way that can be by no means described as "humane".

There are societies in Britain (etc.) which try to rescue as many of these
"discarded" greyhounds as they can, and get them adopted by caring pet
owners.  You can imagine that there are far more dogs that do not get saved
than there are dogs that do.

By the way, greyhounds are supposed to make fabulous pets--affectionate,
well-behaved (except for a desire to get out and run around), intelligent
and funny-looking...

> Mike <

     "Who content?  We don' need no steenking Who content!"