Re: zep/who in the 70's

Kevin writes:

}
}Compare these two lyrics (I just picked these two passages because they
}were the first to spring to mind - you could do it randomly and come up
}with the same result):
}
}"There's a lady who's sure
}all that glitters is gold,
}and she's buying a stairway to heaven."
}

I'm not Methuselah, but I was in Grade 12 when (or shortly after) LZ IV
came out.  While I liked [most of the songs on] the album--and still do,
pretty much--I had the distinct displeasure to be attending English 12
in a room where the English 11 class in the period before was "analyzing"
the lyrics to popular songs.  For God knows how long, but it seemed like
forever, I had to come into my English 12 (a.k.a. "Critical Thinking")
class to find the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven" written on the blackboard
in all their pretentious inanity.  (See, I learned *something* in English!)

The opening lines aren't *that* bad, but, "If there's a bustle in your
hedgerow, Don't be alarmed now, It's just a spring-clean for the May Queen?"
I mean, really...  Now I can't stand listening to the lyrics at all--how
many million times have they played it on radio, anyway?--but I do still
like that short, fast guitar blitz before, "And as we wind on down the road."
Too bad it's so short, and the rest of the song is so damned long...

Of course, you have to remember that at that time I was writing:

     Smash Your Head Against the Wall
     John Entwistle
     Decca DL-79183

on the walls of as many high school washroom stalls as I had reason to
occupy...  (This should explain the deep significance of the first part of
my blurb in the JAE tour book, for those who might have wondered.)

}
}"I don't need to fight
}to prove I'm right;
}I don't need to be forgiven."
}

I.e., disagreements/flames to /dev/null...

> Mike <

  "Now wait, is that the group with the guy with the big nose, or is it
   the group with the guy with the big lips?"