Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 113

> From: Bogie3200@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:28:11 -0400
> Subject: Re: The Who Unplugged
>
> Also, Gary M. Gillman asked a very interesting question:  "This would be
> interesting, in
> particular, for JAE - would he care to play his lines on an acoustic bass
> guitar or upright bass?"  Who out there can make an educated guess?
>
> Rich B.

He played a acoustic bass rather than an upright at the Carnegie
"Daltrey Sings Townshend" show, which I'd take as an indication.

> From: CUSA7814@splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu
> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:37:02 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Boots and buying in NYC
>
> 	I'm not Ed Koch but... can anyone recomend the best Who boots out
> there?  Also does anyone know of any good stores in NYC to buy the boots?
> I've lived there all my life but I never had a reason to buy boots until the
> Who enlightened my life.
> Thanks
> Rob

I see it's already too late for this instance, but let me repeat that
if people want to discuss places to buy boots, it's a really better to
respond to the questioner privately, rather than on this
_internationally-read, publicly-available_ mailing list.  Boots?  As
in "bootlegging"?  Which means they're illegal?  Hello?  Do you want
these places to _stay_ in business?

And those of you asking, please consider putting an "e-mail me
privately" tag in your request in the future, for those respondents
who might be coming in late to the discussion.  For that matter,
e-mail is about as private as running your underwear up a flagpole, if
anyone in the government really wants to read it; but at least private
e-mail doesn't shine spotlights on itself and yell "Hey!"

> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:36:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: James Marshall Boswell <jboswel@emory.edu>
> Subject: Re: What has this world come to?
>
> During the 1989 Who tour I was piss-poor student in St. Louis.  That same
> summer the Stones were on tour as well, and they came to St. Louis a week
> or so after the Who.  Anyway, I was dating a woman at the time, and one
> night when we were set to go out I scored, through a miracle, two tickets
> the The Who's show that night.  When I asked her if she wanted to come to
> the concert with me, she said, "Now wait, is that the group with the guy
> with the big nose, or is it the group with the guy with the big lips?"

In 1980, I had two tickets.  I had just started a job in Houston two
months earlier, and hadn't made any friends who were Who-cognizant.  I
literally went around the floor where I worked asking if anyone would
be interested in going.  No takers.  I was incredulous and disgusted.
I remember that my manager at the time was 35, Pete's age at the time,
and he had never heard of The Who...it was that kind of company
(conservative).  I eventually wound up at an English-style pub, called
the Richmond Arms, about two hours before the show.  A bunch of
British expatriates were playing Who singles on the jukebox and
singing their <David Hasselhoff>s off, obviously as stoked as I was
about the show.  I saw one guy sitting at the bar, very morose because
he had no ticket, and sold him mine.  He practically wept.  What the
hell.

Moreover, that was the show that cemented The Who as my favorite group
forever; it had been 4 years since I'd seen them last, and Keith had
died since, plus I hadn't been too impressed with the albums since
Quad, rock-wise.  At that show they proved that they still had what I
wanted.

Alan

When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I*
*do* *my* *job*.  -- Pete Townshend