Re: Jody WHO?

>>because there was an orchestra on that particular tour.  All I'll say in
her defense at
>>this point is that among a couple of my Who friends she is a very popular
member of
>>the Who Family (regular supporting cast), and at the second Alpine Valley
show in
>>'89, many men cheered on those rare occasions when she was shown on the
giant
>>screen!

>So what? If anything, your points in her defence just dilute the whole "Who"
>experience ca. '89. To an outsider (i.e., target of Who marketing) the whole
idea of this
>"Family" and a "supporting" cast has a kinda annoying content,
self-satifaction to it.
>Not that they didn't earn it.

Are you saying that The Who should never have added ANY musicians (including
in the studio?) or anything else to their shows?  That would seem to be the
standard you're using--that if some part of the show wasn't provided by the
four band members, it was automatically annoying.  That would mean there
should've been no laser light shows, no giant screen, no Rabbit or Tim
Gorman, and no pre-recorded segments in concert, as in Baba O'Riley.
 Wouldn't that also mean they shouldn't have used Dave Arbus on the studio
version of that song, or Nicky Hopkins as they did regularly, just because
they weren't actually members of The Who?  I'm not defending the entire '89
big band (e.g., the extra guitarist or the horns, though I really like the
horns--and light show--on the Kampuchea "See Me, Feel Me") but I don't see
how Jody was redundant in that context--and redundancy in the Daltrey Sings
Townshend PPV was the original complaint, which I DID'NT necessarily disagree
with.  And I must say that I much preferred looking at Jody when Linda Perry
or the Spin Doctors were on stage...

By the way, Roger and many on this mailing list have said it would take two
or three drummers to replace/equal Keith, so in '89 think of Jody as a
necessary second drummer to help Simon.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your point about how "To an outsider (i.e.,
target of Who marketing) the whole idea of this 'Family' and a 'supporting'
cast has a kinda annoying content, self-satifaction to it."  First, it's been
amply demonstrated recently that there is NO SUCH THING as "Who marketing"
and only one person I know who isn't a big Who fans but saw them in '89
mentioned being annoyed by the supporting cast...

Rich B.