Re: Dick Dale

>Some time ago on the list there was an ardent discussion about which black
>and other guitarists influenced Pete Townshend`s propulsive, kinetic, loud,
>power chord guitar style. Mentions ranged from some of the classic Delta
>guitar players to Charlie Christian, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Elmore James,
>Eddie Cochran, Keith Richards and Dave Davies. At the time I couldn`t recall
>Dick Dale`s name and so refrained from any allusion to this master of late
>50`s/early 60`s proto-psychedelic/metal guitar music. Now that Steve
>Weinberg has mentioned Dale`s name, I wonder if Steve or any other readers
>familiar with Dale`s style would credit Dale as an influence on PT. We all
>know of Moon`s infatuation with surf music, but PT is not usually associated
>with this interest. Could Dale  have at least influenced the PT riffs on
>Bucket T, Run, Run, Run and Barbara Ann?...............Gary M.

I'm not in the mood to come up with a witty opening, but Pete was most
definitely exposed to Dick Dale, so I'm sure he picked up something from
Dale.  Duane Eddy was another guitarist who played in that vein, and I
believe I've seen somewhere where Pete cited Eddy as an influence...

John

NP:  "Bombtrack" - Rage Against the Machine