Re: NEW Naughty Word Translation Table

Rich, Re:

> I am a very big Star Trek fan, so I happen to like many of the characters who
> are amusingly maligned by the naughty word replacements that are in frequent
> use on this list.

Please keep in mind that the `naughty word replacements' you are refering to
are part of WFang's very personal jargon.  I disagree with you:  They are NOT
in frequent use on the list.  WFang once posted a table of them just in order
to help us to understand what he's writing.  A few listers think it's funny to
use WFang's code by themselves, but most of us just use the `naughty words'
without any replacement.

> Therefore I would like to offer for your consideration the following
> replacement table:

This is YOUR very personal table, as well as the other one was WFang's very
personal table.  I don't think that there's any need for a common `replacement
table' of The Who Digest.

However, I already see some problems coming up with your replacements.  You are
using Who-related terms to replace `naughty words' - and that's not the best
idea since The Who are naturally a much more sensitive topic on this list than
Star Trek: TNG (or any other soap opera).

> >Naughty "S"
word......................<Picard>.............................<MCA>

Ok, we all agree that MCA did a very bad (hm...the worst possible) job in
marketing The Who.  But many of our Who records have been distributed by MCA,
and I really don't want to think of any naughty S word when looking at my CDs'
covers...  Furthermore, just for one second, let's suppose that MCA will change
their mind and do a perfect job in the future, re-releasing everything in a way
we can appreciate and starting a successful marketing strategy:  In this case,
would you like to associate with MCA sentences like `Every Phil Collins solo
song is a piece of <MCA>.'?  (Useless trivia question:  Does anybody know what
record labels release PC's stuff?)

So, if you want to make fun of MCA, post something like your fake newspaper
article to the list. - This was really great and hilarious!  The replacement
suggested above isn't, though.

>Bad "F"
word.............................<Riker>..............................<Marsh>
>Male "naughty
bit"......................<Wesley>..........................<Talmy>

Same problem here.  Of course, both Marsh's book and Talmy's arrogance stink.
But both Marsh and especially Talmy are important figures in The Who's history,
and I don't want to think of anything `naughty' when reading their names.

>Female
Dog................................<Kira>..............................<Ruth
Streeting>

This is even worse.  I really like the PD character Ruth - she's such a great
caricature of a journalist.  Ok, part of her role is to admit that she's a
<female dog>, but that's not reason enough to make fun of one of Pete's lyrical
masterpieces.  Where shall this end?  Are you already planning to continue your
table with <Uncle Earnie>, <Cousin Kevin>, <Mary Anne>, ...?  No, no, let's
stop here - these aren't words to drag through the mud.  Insulting Ruth
Streeting is like insulting the whole Who list... :-)

So - if you need `naughty word replacements' of your own, please think of a
different table.  Hurting the feelings of a Who fan is worse than hurting those
of a TNG fan..., at least in this forum :-).

Cheers,

Bernd   ---   `Life's a bitch...'