Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 106

At 3:45 4/16/96, The Who Mailing List wrote:
>From: Litgo@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:48:09 -0400
>Subject: Re: Who hates whom?
>
>-Bob Seger (put your hands in the air...)

I don't hate Bob Seger, but...this afternoon I was in a crowded deli where
I could barely hear the radio above the voices.  I thought I heard the
single-note-and-synth part from Psychoderelict just before the music that
leads into "We!  Demand!  a Universal Grid!" -- turned out it was the intro
to a Seger song; I'm pretty sure it was "Fire Down Below"  Give 'em a
listen, see if you hear the similarity.

In other news:  I know very little about Sammy Hagar's music, but the one
song of his I definitely like is "I Can't Drive 55".  (I've gotten a lot of
speeding tickets).  I'm with the poster who mentioned Iris's "Ah Leah", I
like that a lot but it's the only song I've ever heard by him.

Dislikes:

the Journey/Foreigner/Genesis/Triumph axis; I used to think of them as the
"one-word groups" -- they all had squealy high male vocals and I couldn't
keep straight which group did which song (usually I am pretty good at
that).

John Cougar Mellonhead (nee' John Cougar), the farmer wannabee (that "two
American kids" song about "Jack and Diane" with its big crashing
bang-your-head chords, which abruptly stop for one stupid string going
"mee-deep", is the worst, and that patronizing "little pink houses for you
and me" thing);

Eddie Money  (doesn't he do "sh-sh-sh-Shakin'"?  Putrid.)

Hard to think of other groups I dislike, because I spend so little time
thinking about them.

>Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 11:11:21 -0400
>From: mishura/mckenna <redman1@dcez.com>
>Subject: apple scrumping

>re: apple scrumping- maybe it's a play on words of apple scruffs, the
>group of young ladies/groupies who camped out on Apple's/Beatles' office steps
>every day, circa 68-70, waiting to get a glimpse of/any interaction w/the
>drab four.

Man, the things you learn on this list.  25 years after the fact, I get the
story behind George Harrison's "Apple Scruffs" on the "All Thing Must Pass"
album.  Thanks!  If you read the words, it's actually a very sweet
tip-o'-the-hat to them by George.

>From: Mike Westbrook <mwest@atc-1s.HAC.COM>
>Subject: Language, language, language
>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:04:15 PDT
>
>Regarding Kentc's statement:
>}IMO:  Simon Phillips ROCKS!   This guy is loved by every percussionist who
>}walks the planet (unless their huge Neil Pert fans--Lord help them).
>
>At least Neil Peart knows how to spell "they're"...

And "Peart", for that matter...

But I share Kent's opinion of Simon.  During the '89 tour Roger said that
having him was "like having Keith" drumming.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend