Re: Who hates whom?

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Ian Derby wrote:

> I want to clarify on my original post why I chose those three bands
> because i've noticed some obvious gems I've totally ignored
> (Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon).
>
> Im just fed up with radio in general.  Now that the era of "classic
> rock" radio is dying a horrible death with the influx of "modern
> rock" stations what's left are the overplayed songs that we hated to
> hear 15 years ago.  Pink Floyd (I forgot about them) Lynyrd Skynyrd,
> Zep, Hendrix, Boston, and the Doors are still DJ favs.  The really
> pathetic bands (Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey) have now moved to
> "70's hits stations", which is a softer version of classic rock.

I think it's not so much a question of playing the bands you mention too
much so much as it is one of playing the 2-3-4 most famous, most annoying
songs by each band.  Led Zeppelin had at least 5-10 good songs that I've
never heard on the radio; I don't ever remember hearing anything other
than Free Bird or Sweet Home by Skynyrd; etc.  I wish every time the DJ's
hand starts for Stairway, he'd pull out an underrated classic like "I'm
goin' home" (Ten Years After) or something like that.

--LP.