Still more lyrical interpretation stuff

I'm not half bad...

Here something I've always wondered about. In the song Amazing Journey,
Tommy encounters a man "Wrapped in a silver-sparked glitttering gown/And his
golden beard flowed nearly down the the ground..." and it goes on to say
"He's your leader, he's your guide/On the amazing journey together you'll
ride..."
For me, visions of Gandalf sprang to mind (having read Lord Of The Rings
about the same time I first heard Tommy). In the movie this guide is Tommy's
dad. But I can't help but wonder what Townshend originally had in mind. You
must assume, since the song takes place inside Tommy's mind, that it's a
facet of said mind (I guess). Or is it a supernatural agency that disappears
after this one appearance?
Another question: Is it Tommy or this guide who has "Sparkle warm crystaline
glances to throw..."? I always thought that this was Pete's way of telling
the audience that Tom could really see...but the rest of the lyrics suggest
otherwise.
Anyone have any ideas in this department?

                   Cheers                   ML