Re: Random thoughts...

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Michael D. Mullins wrote:

>    I'm kind of skeptical about this explanation, however, because I'm assuming
> that Gibson continued to produce at least the SG Standard, in some form, and
> that the electronics were probably similar to what he ended up with with Les
> Pauls.  In other words, even if Gibson was no longer producing SG's with P90's,
> the Les Pauls Pete ended up with didn't have P90's either, and the pickups they
> did have were probably pretty much the same as the SG's that were still in
> production.  Can a Gibson historian step in here with some insight?

Pete didn't play LP Standards, he played the ones with Epiphone/Firebird
mini-HBs (I think this was the LP Special at the time) with a normal
Gibson HB in the middle position.  The mini HBs are supposed to have a
brighter tone than the normal ones, and sound a bit less muddy when played
at distortion levels.

I think that another reason he switched was that the Les Paul was very
much in vogue at the time, and considering he played Rics because of the
Beatles, then Strats because of Jimi (among other things), I'm sure the
fact that Jimi Page, and about a million others at the time were playing
Les Pauls may have had at least some effect.

Shane Matheson						MechEng/CompSci UWO

	"I smash guitars because I like them. " -- Pete Townshend