Re: The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame is Full of Shit.

Abbubica writes:
>Chris writes:
>>I personally think the Rock and Roll hall of fame is full of
>>shit.
>I agree 100%.  It is an homage to those who have made cash for record
>companies.  And even when a group such as the who is included, they choose
>to represent that band with the heavy radio play songs; even if these
>songs are among the groups weaker material.  Would you rathe have "Behind
>Blue Eyes", "Pinball Wizard", and My Generation" representing the Who; or
>"However Much I Booze",  "Sparks", and "A Quick One While He's Away".
>Personally, I am sick to death of the first list of songs, and the only
>reason that these are "typical who songs" in the first place is due to
>heavy-radio-play-to-the-point-of-vomiting.  There are much better Who
>songs (such as those I mentioned) that more "represent" the Who.

>I also get the feeling that the Who's inclusion was more or less
>gratuitous. I know this sounds wierd, after all it's the Who: the greatest
>Rock and Roll band ever.  But that is exactly my point!  I just have this
>feeling that the induction comitee kind of said. "well it's the Who, they
>get played on classic rock stations.  Yeah, I remember that song...Pinball
>Wizard.  Isn't Tommy playing on broadway."  Well you get the picture.  I
>know its pesimistic, but remember: the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is Full
>of Shit.

While I agree with part of your argument (the wrong songs were chosen), I
have to disagree with a couple things.  Despite their heavy airplay, I
would hardly consider "Baba" or "MG" among the band's weaker material.
Just because "Stairway to Heaven" got played to death (still does) doesn't
mean that it was a bad song, nor does it mean that it has ever failed to
raise goosebumps when Page takes off on that solo.  Surprisingly enough,
occasionally the mass populace gets a clue and recognizes brilliant work
(see Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon or Pearl Jam's first album).

The problem as I see it is the Who's songs really took a whole new life
when played live.  The band recognized very early that they would be trying
to reproduce their live sound on record, rather than the other way around,
as it was with most bands.  TKAA's version of "Baba" is on a whole 'nother
level from the one on Who's Next.  "My Generation" from Leeds is from
another planet entirely.  This goes back to my earlier post about how I see
the Who's biggest influence on the evolution of music:  intensely
meaningful emotion slammed in your face like a freight train.  Truly the
embodiment of the spirit of Rock & Roll.

I'm convinced that any selection for the R&R Hall should have been taken
from TKAA (Baba, WGFA, Roadrunner) Woodstock (Young Man Blues, Sparks) or
Leeds (YMB, Substitute, Shakin' All Over, MG [especially the version of
Sparks contained within], Magic Bus).

As for the Hall itself, I think the name of the place should've been the
Museum of Modern Popular Music, as that's what it appears to be to me.  I'm
torn between the appreciation that is finally being shown to some of these
people, and the fact that Rock has been officially institutionalized.  I
have my OWN R&R Hall of Fame, and it is located in my head, my heart and my
record collection.

OK,
KLW