Re[2]: RnR HOF 500 songs that shaped rock

Marc writes:
>Go to the MIrror Boy is a way of including all of Tommy.  As is
>explained in the exhibit, up until this point in the album, all
>of the songs are about Tommy but none of them have Tommy connecting
>to the audience.  This is the first point of the album where the
>audience gets a peak inside Tommy's head.

I think it's a nice try, but I'd have picked "See Me Feel Me/Listening To
You" as the representative Tommy track, with maybe Pinball Wizard as an
alternate.  SMFM/LTY encapsulates the concept so eloquently, despite the
way PT feels about it now, and PW was undeniably an incredibly popular song
(still).  "Overture" would have also been a good choice, since that was the
beginning of the album that really changed the way a lot of artists thought
about rock and the format in which it could be presented.

>I think it's fine just including those three songs.  I'm not sure
>how other artists stack up.  Remember, there is only room for
>500 songs to cover the history of rock.

Their contribution may be arguable (not here) in respect to their influence
when it comes to the songwriting or the popularity of their music (we often
grumble about how the Who gets regularly shafted when it comes to respect
in the media), but it cannot be ignored that they were THE preeminent live
band for well over a decade.  Live At Leeds is testimony to this.  Show me
ANY major band that could put out raw power like THAT (even today).  For
that reason, I'd say that "Young Man Blues" or "My Generation" from Leeds
should have been included in the list.

As for the earlier posted ad for the Leeds special ed. that was listed as
800-something of 10000: my version is 11829.  Someone is not telling the
truth.

OK,
KLW