Re: The Who 1989

>In June 1989 the Who spent two weeks in my town rehearsing for the tour. The
>first show of the tour was in our 6000 seat Glens Falls Civic Center (Glens
>Falls, NY). While it was great to be in the second row right in front of
>Townshend this was but a shadow of what the Who once was. I was lucky enough
>to see them in 1967, 71, 73, 75, 79, 82 and 89. I am glad that Townshend is
>letting them rest in peace. I hope they never do another show as the Who. I
>agree 100% with what Scott James said. IMHO, he is totally correct.

I saw The Who in `75, and purposely didn't attend the `82 tour. I didn't
want to spoil the perfect vision of that earlier performance. However, in
`89 I gave in and went to see them. I must say that I was surprised at how
much it sounded like "The Who," and the performance level was certainly
there (except during Townshend's solo numbers, which I felt sapped the
energy...but that's another subject). Townshend was clearly enjoying
himself. There were magical moments, like the first chords of Amazing
Journey (sent chills down my spine) and the crowd singing softly
(respectfully) along with Roger during Behind Blue Eyes. And more...so
despite the intrusive horn section, and my fear that the band had turned
into (Townshend's words on The Kids Are Alright movie) a cabaret show, I
quite enjoyed the concert.
I know some people would say that it was no longer The Who after Moon died.
Things change...for me, it WAS The Who that night...
However, I will say that the TOMMY section was not nearly as powerful as the
`69-70 versions. It was too...perfect. Too much like the studio album.
I do agree that they (including Daltrey) should forget about any more "band"
concerts. I would like to see them in the studio, though. Their version of
Saturday Night certainly proves they still have the power...and Townshend's
solo work shows that he still has the magic.
     Cheers                      ML