Re: White City

Marty, re:

>For the past 10+ years, Pete has felt the need to create fictional scenarios
(sometimes part autobiographical) in which to present his songs, whether it
be Jimmy (the White City main character), Hogarth (his Iron Man character),
Ray Highsmith (PsychoDerelict), or even Tommy for that matter.

>I do wish Pete would writing from the hip again. I feel that he's still got
another Empty Glass in him. Take away the context, and y'know what? You still
have some fucking brilliant songs, Pete.

One of the contributing factors in Pete "bailing" from The Who and this style
of writing was Dave Marsh and "writers" like him. See, Dave  thinks it was
some kinda crime for Pete to start writing "personally", beginning with "Who
By Numbers". I believe this heavy criticism drove Pete crazy (a bit of
"revenge" in "Psychoderelict" aimed at the music press). As a result, Pete's
been trying to focus on a "theme" rather than write songs about himself or
whatever struck him . Both vehicles have merit, but no need to go
overboard... This "paranoia" over music press criticism also has fueled
Pete's "writers block" and partly explains his low writing output... A real
shame...

WF <~